Sunday, November 23, 2008

Basement Rewiring

I earned some more home improvement snaps today. My brother-in-law Horacio helped me do some rewiring in the basement. Basically, I thought this would be easy. We were just going to take lighting fixtures that were currently on pull-chains and convert them to be controlled by two three-way wall switches.

Well, my 100year old house had some different ideas. Apparently every friggin outlet on the north side of my house is powered by the same breaker that feeds these three light bulbs. A day and a half later, I crack the code of the wires.

Now my basement is totally dark most of the time and then gloriously bright whenever I want. We used to have to leave a small flourescent light on because the basement was un-navigable without it, but now everything is controlled by the same switch. I'm proud of this, but only until the house burns down. I'm only half joking.

No comments: