Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Dining out: Restaurants named after foods

I have an informal rule about dining out.
When dining at a restaurant that has a "famous" dish (e.g. "El Famous Burrito"), or an eponymous dish (Steak and Shake), one must always order said dish on the first visit to that restaurant.
Usually it works out, with the obvious exceptions of Red Lobster and Olive Garden. And I did bend the rule at the Chicago Chop House, by ordering steak instead of chops. But I've had prime rib at Lawry's, Burritos at numerous establishments. I've eaten Chicken at Harold's Chicken Shack and, of course, numerous burgers and pizzas.

The real treat comes when restaurants have a special that is named for the restaurant. Such as the "Combinacion El Tapatio" at El Tapatio in Chicago on Ashland and Roscoe. Ordered that the first time I went there and loved it. I've probably ordered that a dozen times. Still don't know what it is... I think some kind of tacos and enchiladas. But it's great, and I'll order it again.

The dilemma occurs, of course, when numerous items are named after the restaurant (e.g. the "Lloyd's house salad", and the "Lloyd's burger" and the "Lloyd's chipped beef on toast"). When that happens, I usually forego the rule because - let's face it - there is obviously no sacred bond between Lloyd and that salad. Probably Lloyd just paid attention during the brand and marketing class in business school.

The rule has served me well, and I will most certainly continue to follow it. Of course, I will need to venture carefully if I ever go to Hooters.

1 comment:

the slackmistress said...

Hooters = chicken wings. Trust me on this.